Another in the series of Cadbury's "Annuals" issued in the 1920s, many of which have striking artwork and this is no exception. Cadbury's often employed well-known graphic designers and artists for their publications - however, I can't find any clues as to this artist, "Maurice C Williams".
The 3-ton T-37A was the first mass-produced fully amphibious tank. Lightly armored, armed by a 0.3-in machine gun and powered by a 40-hp petrol engine, it was equipped with cork-filled floats. In 1933-1936, 2552 T-37A’s were produced.
The Fiat A12 petrol (gasoline) engines was converted to a diesel running engine, the AN.1. It had six cylinders of 5.51 x 7.09 in (140 X 180 mm), with a displacement of 1,015 cu in (16,627 cc), producing 180 hp at 1,600 rpm.
A converted Ansaldo A.300 (also designated Fiat AN.1) fitted with this engine made the first recorded flight of a diesel-engined plane in Italy when it flew from Turin to Rome in June 1930.
In July 1938 the SNCF put into service a 225 ton twin unit diesel locomotive powered by a pair of Sulzer 12 cylinder twin bank engines.
At the time of construction they were the most powerful engines ever installed in railway traction. The 12 cylinder twin bank engines were each rated at 2,200hp at 700 rpm on the one hour rating. Cylinder size was 310mm by 390mm (12.2in by 15.4in).
Electrical equipment was supplied by les Forges et Ateliers de Constructions electriques de Jeumont, each half unit having a main generator, three traction motors, an axle driven exciter, an auxiliary generator and other subsidiary equipment. The total of six tractions motors are of the four pole series, with forced ventilation, permanently coupled in parallel.
The Sulzer powered 262BD1 was one of a pair of twin units ordered by the PLM, the second twin unit, 262AD1 is shown below, this machine was powered by four MAN 1,050hp engines.
Fittings on the locomotives were standardised where possible to keep spares to a minimum, likewise the bodyshells reveal much similarity.
Both twin units were retired from service during 1955.